Stuber-Stone Building

Historic Photo from NRHP Filing
Stuber-Stone Bldg. *1
National Register of Historic Places Filing
The Stuber-Stone Building, named for the automobile dealership of Stuber-Stone & Company, reflects the design and construction methods typical of new dealership and showroom buildings built throughout the United States in the second decade of the twentieth century. In addition, the Stuber-Stone Building is a well-preserved and unique example of the Sullivanesque style of commercial architecture. Built on Cass Avenue in 1916, one of the first streets paved for use by automobiles while Woodward Avenue was still used for carriages, the Stuber-Stone Building was located in Detroit, Michigan's first streetcar suburb known as the Cass Corridor. First developed as a residential area in close proximity to downtown Detroit during the late 1800s, the Cass Corridor grew to include a large number of auto-related businesses in the early 1900s. The period of highest commercial building construction in the area surrounding the Stuber-Stone Building was 1915 to 1930. Service and gas stations, parts suppliers and auto dealerships provided the necessary support for the booming automobile manufacturing industry in Detroit. By 1927, approximately thirty auto-related businesses were located along ten blocks of Cass Avenue.
The Stuber-Stone Building exemplifies the characteristic structure type of automotive dealerships buildings constructed in the 1910s. The facades of dealerships and showrooms "usually adhered to the storefront, upper-story cornice format... (and) the storefronts were generally larger so that passerby could catch a better glimpse" (pg. 76, Liebs) of the cars on display. In addition, architectural imagery and facade design were important in order to convey the image of a well-established and prosperous dealership. To achieve this image, Sullivanesque details, most predominantly terra cotta panels with a carved, sinuous foliage pattern and lion figurines, were incorporated into the facade design. The facade of the Stuber-Stone Building is unique to the Cass Corridor and to Detroit as well. In order to construct a durable and fireproof building, dealerships were typically constructed of reinforced concrete, as was the Stuber-Stone. This material, "capable of supporting large loads, vibration resistant, and relatively fireproof, reinforced concrete made an ideal skeletal system for structures designed for the selling and servicing of cars. (pg. 80, Liebs) This material also lent itself to the rear, utilitarian portion of the building which housed a garage in addition to other spaces.
The sustained popularity of this area for automobile dealers to locate was due in part to the construction of the Convention Hall Building, located one block north of the Stuber-Stone Building between Woodward and Cass. Built in 1923, the Convention Hall was the largest building of its kind in the country and provided the Detroit Automobile Dealers Association with more than enough space in which to hold their annual auto shows. The Convention Hall also provided space for year round dealership exhibitions. The car shows and exhibitions continued to be held at the Convention Hall until the early 1950s when the building was converted into a bottling plant and the automobile exhibitions were moved to the then newly constructed Cobo Hall.
The Stuber-Stone building was built by David W. Simons, a developer, contractor and Jewish philanthropist. Mr. Simons purchased part of the Cass Avenue property on May 25, 1903 for $4,000 and the remainder of the property on April 17, 1916 for $50,000. Mr. Simons was issued Detroit Building Permit #8811 on October 6, 1916 for the construction of the two story reinforced concrete and brick garage. The estimated cost of construction, which was completed by the A.J. Construction Company, was $50,000. During the building's period of significance, several different auto related businesses occupied the building. Illustrating the legacy of auto manufacturing in Detroit - whereby more than 200 companies were started in Detroit, eventually reduced by mergers or bankruptcies down to the "Big Three - a phenomenal number of small auto-related operations were started by those who hoped to successfully tap into the profitable industry. Some companies were incorporated into larger companies while others went into bankruptcy due to the fluctuations in the economy. Stuber-Stone & Company, which first occupied the Stuber-Stone Building, was one such business.
Located at 4221-4229 Cass Avenue, the Stuber-Stone Building, with two individual entrances, initially contained a subdivided interior space to house the multiple tenants. The original tenants, Stuber-Stone & Company, distributors of Abbott-Detroit Motor Cars and Colombia Six Motor Cars, occupied 4221-4227 (753-755) Cass Avenue from 1917 through 1921. Although considered conventional cars, the Abbott-Detroit Motor Cars were advertised as "The One Perfect Car" and "Built for Perfection and Guaranteed for Life." Various models were in production until 1917 when the Abbott-Detroit Car Company filed for bankruptcy due to over-production and the price of renting an expensive plant in Cleveland. The Columbia Six Motor Car was considered to be a particularly fine assembled car and was the first car in it's price class to include a motor temperature control device. In 1910, the Columbia Motor Car company was combined with Maxwell-Briscoe, manufacturers of Maxwell Motor Cars, to form the United States Motor Company. Maxwell-Briscoe was later incorporated into the Chrysler Car Company.
Company namesakes, Edwin W. Stuber and Norman T. Stone joined forces with Otto R. Neumann to form Stuber-Stone & Company in 1917. Stuber was President and Treasurer of the company as well as the President of the Rotary Tire Service Company, which was located next door at 4229(759) Cass Avenue in 1917. Norman T. Stone, Vice-President of Stuber-Stone & Company, was also involved with Cadillac Trucking. Otto R. Neumann, of the Neumann Brothers Drug Company, was Secretary of Stuber-Stone & Company.
In 1919, Owen Tire and Auto Supply Company had replaced the Rotary Tire Service Company at 4229 (759) Cass. The tire and auto supply company was a dealer of Gillette and Republic tires and tubes, offered a 24 hour guaranteed vulcanizing service, auto supplies and accessories, and free crank case service. (Polk, 1919) Louis Thibodeau, owner of an auto accessories store, occupied 4229 Cass from 1920 to 1921. By 1922, the Stuber-Stone Building was vacant.
In 1924, the D.E. Meyer Company, distributors of the "Hupmobile," moved into the building. The "Hupmobile," manufactured by the Hupp Motor Car Corporation, was believed to be "the best car of its class in the world" (Polk, 1926-1927) by its manufacturers. Delmer E. Meyer was President, Gustav W. Meyer was Vice-President and Herman A. Wolpert, also Secretary of the Keystone Realty Company Inc., was Secretary and Treasurer of the D.E. Meyer Company. By 1926, I.J. Bard had taken Wolpert's position as Secretary. The D.E. Meyer Company occupied the building until 1929.
In 1930, 4221 Cass was occupied by Jordan Distributors, Inc., distributors of Jordan Motor Cars, which were "assembled cars with the look of a custom car and the highest quality standard components in the industry." (Kimes, pg. 755) 4225-4227 Cass was vacant at this time and remained vacant until 1934. 4229 Cass Avenue was occupied by J.R. Vokes, a cartage company. By 1932, Jordan Distributors, Inc., had been replaced by the Michigan Replacement Parts Corporation, suppliers of automobile parts, equipment and machinists. Henry Schuman was President and Treasurer, Jacob Schuman was Vice-President and M.R. Haber was Secretary of the parts company, which occupied the building until 1938. In 1938, a branch of the A & P Food Stores grocery moved into 4221 Cass Avenue and remained until 1939. This portion of the building was again vacant in 1940.
4229 Cass was occupied by the Whirlgas Sales Corporation, manufacturers of auto fuel mixers and carburetor mixers for any type of gasoline engine, in 1932. This address was vacant again by 1934. In 1935, the 4225-4229 Cass Avenue had changed to 4229-35 Cass and was occupied by the Grand Motor Sales Inc., used car dealers and financiers. Louis Grand was President, Girsh Grand was Vice-President and Samuel Grand was Secretary and Treasurer. By 1937, Reliable Motor Sales Inc., moved into 4229-4235 Cass and remained until 1939. Aaron Friedman was President and Eileen Ellis was Vice-President and Secretary of the used car company. In 1940, 4229-4235 Cass was occupied by Davis Motors Inc. The change in use of the building to a used car showroom reflects the changes in the Cass Corridor after the depression. The area experienced a steady decline from 1930 to 1945 as many residents lost their jobs causing the economy of the area declined and people were not purchasing cars.
David W. Simons, one of Detroit's major developers and contractors, was responsible for the construction of many houses and factories in Detroit. Born in Russian Poland on September 7, 1856, Simons and his father settled in Detroit in 1870 and started a prosperous salvage business, S. Simons & Son. In 1890, Simons began the Simons Realty Company and as sole owner of the multi-faceted company, was involved in a variety of real estate related activities including: the buying, selling and exchanging of both improved and vacant real estate; mortgages; land contracts; and a general real estate commission business which took full charge of estates for resident and non-resident owners, paying taxes, collecting rentals, placing insurance, etc. (Detroit Today, 1893) In addition to his thriving real estate business, Simons was involved in a number of organizations and civic offices and was also a great philanthropist supporting Jewish institutions through land and monetary donations.
The Stuber-Stone Building is historically significant as a representative of the characteristic automobile dealership building type built across the United States in the early 1900s to showcase and capitalize on the products of the rapidly growing automotive industry. The well preserved, Sullivanesque style building is the only building of its type remaining in the North Cass Corridor and is a unique example of early automobile showrooms in Detroit. The Stuber-Stone Building relates to the rise of the auto as a cultural phenomenon of the early twentieth century and illustrates the rise and fall of the automotive industry on Cass Avenue in Detroit, Michigan.
Physical Description
The Stuber-Stone Building is a two story, rectangular commercial building, measuring 100 feet in front and back by 150 feet, located in a mixed-use area which contains both commercial and residential properties. The Sullivanesque style building, with rough-faced brick facade and terra cotta ornament, fronts east on Cass Avenue standing on the sidewalk line. The east, main facade is vertically divided into five bays of varying width by two-story piers. The widest, central bay is flanked by two narrow bays, each of which adjoin a wider side bay. Each is similar in design and construction in the well-preserved second story, which is horizontally divided from the first by a wide decorative spandrel, and in the first floor which has been altered with the installation of wood paneling. The brick facade contains recessed mortar joints tinted a red color. The north, west and south facades are constructed of concrete block and structural clay tile within a reinforced concrete frame and have been altered with the installation and removal of doors and windows.
The facade's first story, contains entrances in the two narrow bays and storefronts now enclosed by painted wood paneling in the three broader ones. The southern, narrow entrance bay, with wood paneling above, contains a modern commercial glass door. The more northerly entrance has an arched opening trimmed in limestone. The opening contains double doors with Moderne pushbars, flanked by side and transom lights. Wood paneling now infills the arch. A rectangular terra cotta panel with English arts and crafts style strapwork ornament is located within the pier on either side of the entrance. Below each panel, is a square terra cotta panel which contains an incised leaf-like motif, dividing the panel into four identical sections, with each leaf divided further into four. Other similar square panels are located at the base of the two end piers, on the northern facade, and above the lion heads.
Each of the five bays within the second floor contains a bank of tall, narrow, windows with wooden mullions; a horizontal mullion divides the windows square transom windows above and vertical, single light sash below. The central bay contains nine windows, the two narrow bays contain four windows, and the two side bays contain six windows. The spandrel and cornice are ornamented by low relief terra cotta panels of sinuous foliage carved in a symmetrical pattern. The panels are centrally placed within each bay and are surrounded by equal dimensions of brick to each side giving the varying panel widths a sense of proportion. The brick surrounding the panels in the spandrel and cornice are placed in a stacked header pattern. The cornice level panel in the central bay of the building contains a convex, circular medallion, in the shape of a wheel, set atop a geometric interplay of a square, rectangle and triangles; only the corners of the shapes are visible. Three lines, representing the spokes of a wheel, radiate out from above and below the Stuber-Stone & Co. name plate. A horizontal row of terra cotta blocks, some smooth and others decorative, frame the upper and lower portion of the cornice and spandrel areas. The cornice is topped by a decorative terra cotta coping.
Lion figurines, each perched on hind legs and holding a shield in front of it's chest, rise above the capital of each pier, through the frieze to the base of the cornice line. The shield contains stars in the upper portion with six raised lines radiating from the line underneath the stars to the sides and base of the shield. The "capital" of the pier below each lion is a terra cotta plaque containing a medallion composed of a hexagon, with an enclosed circle atop, surrounded by a raised circle. Cubes with the incised leaf-like motif are located on top of each lion's head and seem to support terra cotta projections and coping.
The main facade's design wraps around onto the first approximately seventeen feet of the north elevation. The first floor of this portion of the north facade contains a storefront which has been filled in by glass block below a blocked-in transom. The second story is clad in brick and has a sign painted on it. The remainder of this elevation, as well as the west and south elevation, are industrial in character, with an exposed concrete structure and infill of masonry with industrial-style windows. The north facade has evolved significantly over time. The first three bays (from the east) at the second story are infilled with clay tile, which has been covered with stucco. The last three bays are filled with industrial-style, steel windows on concrete block half-walls and concrete sills. At the first floor, the first three bays are filled with concrete masonry unit (CMU) walls and large, steel windows. The remainder of the first floor bays contain a varied collection of pedestrian and vehicular doors. One of these bays has a ramp which provides vehicular entrance to the second floor. Another has a truck loading dock. A metal awning projects from one of the bays.
The west elevation adjoins an alley at the back of the building; it is industrial in character with exposed concrete structure. Industrial-style, steel windows set on brick half-walls with cast concrete sills are located in the second floor. The first floor has been significantly altered. One bay is filled with CMU, one with brick, one still has industrial-style windows, and others have vehicular and pedestrian doors.
The south elevation is again industrial in character. The building on the lot to the south of this building adjoins this building for approximately the first (from the east) twenty feet. For the rest of the length of this elevation, the neighboring building is spaced five feet from this building. The neighboring building is one story tall. As a result, the first floor of this elevation is located in a narrow alley between the two buildings and is virtually never seen. Its bays are filled with clay tile. The first approximately seventeen feet of the second story are finished with common brick that was painted, but most of the paint has worked off. The remainder of this elevation consists of exposed concrete structure and bays of unfinished, clay tile.
The interior of the building is rectangular in plan and is two stories in height. The first floor is a slab-on-grade. The second floor and second floor ceiling are reinforced concrete slabs supported by a grid of reinforced concrete beams and columns. The underside of the concrete slabs are slightly arched along the north-south oriented beams. Both floors are divided into three structural bays along the east-west axis and seven bays along the north-south axis. The east-west bays are approximately thirty-three feet wide. The north-south bay at the east end of the building is approximately eighteen feet wide. The rest of the north-south bays are twenty-two feet wide. The floor-to-ceiling height at both storied is approximately fifteen feet. The flat roof is supported by a wood structure above the concrete ceiling at the second floor.
At the first floor, a masonry wall running from east to west divides the south bay from the middle and north bays and creates two separate spaces. The south space was refinished several years ago for office use. It has an acoustic-tile, dropped ceiling with fluorescent lights, and drywall/stud partition walls with solid core wood doors in metal frames. The office floors are carpeted, those in the restrooms are finished with vinyl flooring.
At the north two bays of the first floor, the east four bays were refinished c. 1950 for office use incorporating ceilings of acoustic tile, office partition paneled with maple veneer, and vinyl tile flooring. At the same time a formal stairway was installed in the center bay adjacent to the front (east) elevation. The stair has a steel frame with concrete-filled treads. Its railing is of steel with textured glass panels. The walls of the stairway are finished with maple veneer paneling to a height of the window sill at the second story. The walls above the paneling are of painted CMU. A dropped, acoustic tile ceiling is located at the height of the transom bar of the second story windows. A small entry lobby and office are located in the northeast corner of the first floor. They were refinished at the same time as the south space and match its finishes.
At the north bays of the first floor, the west three bays are not finished due to their use as a garage and warehouse. They have concrete floors and ceilings. The ramp to the second floor, back stairs to the second floor and loading dock are located in this area. The stairs are of concrete with a steel pipe railing. The stairway has unfinished structural clay tile walls.
The second floor is also unfinished space. At the east end of the second floor adjacent to the front facade, plaster at the exterior walls and trim at the windows indicate that this may once have been a finished space. All other surfaces in this space consist of painted or unpainted brick, concrete or concrete block. The remainder of the second story space is subdivided into small and large rooms with CMU walls. The exterior walls consist of the concrete structure with clay tile or CMU infill and industrial-style steel windows. With the exception of paint and areas of concrete parging, none of the surfaces are finished.
The Stuber-Stone building is currently being rehabilitated by a private developer with plans to restore the front facade to it's original design. The building will provide 9,500 square feet of commercial space, interior parking for twelve cars, exterior parking for fourteen cars, seven commercial lofts, and seven, income integrated, residential lofts. In addition to reversing the blighted condition of the building, the project will also provide forty full-time jobs for neighborhood residents. Fifty percent of those jobs created will be made available to low- and moderate-income persons.
Architect/Builder
Smith, A.J., Contruction Co.
NRHP Ref# 96000369 • Data from National Park Service • Content available under CC BY-SA 4.0
Historic Photos
(6)Sourced from the National Register of Historic Places filing
Stuber-Stone Building—Stuber-Stone Bldg. *1
Public Domain (Michigan Filing)
Building Details
- National Register
- Listed 1996
- Ref# 96000369